Wednesday, September 15, 2010

first few days

Yesterday was my first day of school. I was absolutely terrified. But I walked in, and everyone stared, that part didn’t bother me, its just what they thought of me that bothered me. I sat down next to a boy named marco. A girl next to him named alice spoke fairly good English and she introduced herself and everyone around her. They are all so nice! First class was math, and I just took notes. 2nd was latin, the teacher came in, we stood up and greeted her(buongiorno). In latin, the teacher made each student present themselves to me, so each student told me their names, what they did over the summer, where they live, and what their hobbies are(where they live.. not like in the states where you all go to the same school if you live in the area. In italy you go to the school that focus’ on what you want to study, does not matter how far it is from your house. Here in italy my school is 25 minutes away by car…)

Before 3rd hour we had a ten minute break, where I followed alice around like a puppy dog, she is so nice and is the only one who speaks english well. Then 3rd hour came, which was english, and the techer made each one present themselves to me in english. Which took the whole hour since thy had to do it in english.. haha 4th hour was gym, the teacher came in and we just sat around and hung out, it was stupid. After school I went home for lunch, hung around the house, then went to go buy a phone. Came home and had dinner.

Today I woke up, went to school. 1st hour we had latin. I didn’t understand anything, and latin isn’t important for me so its not supposed to matter.. so I just doodled. 2nd hour was english, where we had a pop quiz on the homework from the prior night. And then we talked about shakespeare and sonnets. Then it was break. Then 3rd hour was philosophy.. I think… or physics. Not sure, but I didn’t understand, and she didn’t write on the board(normally whats written on the board helps me understand whats happening). Though when I listen to people talk it helps me, my Italian is improving every day, little by little.
4th hour was gym. We went to the gym, changed, and we “ran around the school” but we all walked. And we “played volleyball” but we took a ball and hit it around in a group circle..
I got out of school, got picked up, picked up my brother(oh yeah.. I got sick in rome, so I came to borgo ticino sick.. and got my host sister sick, so she missed school today) we also picked up two children who are friends of my host brother and sister. They came over to play for awhile. Then my host mom and I went out to novara to meet the other girl in my local chapter, and also to meet other afs coorderinators. First we went to the post office to take care of my forms for my living permit.. or student permit, I honesrtly don’t even know what it is..
Then we went to a bar and met up with Brittany, other volunteers and brittanys host parents. It was really nice to get to hangout with someone who also speaks english as their native language. Brittany and I walked around the city for a bit, she showed me her school and where she went shopping today. She and I talked about our experiences so far and how things are going for us. We made plans to hang out in two weeks!

My host mom and I left, and we got lost, for like an hour. Street signs in italy are confusing and stupid! I hate them.. we drove in circles for at least a half hour.. then we got home maybe an hour or so later than we expected and my host father had prepared dinner. We ate a late dinner, and watched tv. Since it was so late, they pretty much went to bed right after. So they are asleep now, and I am here.. ciaoooo. Buona notte(bye. good night)

No comments:

Post a Comment